MyEUtaxback ON-LINE chat
+371 678 593 75 (9 am - 6 pm, Mon-Fr.)
Any questions?
Our managers will answer your questions.
Call us
+371 678 593 75
+371 270 800 82

Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Send your question via e-mail
Talk with us
ON-LINE chat: send a question
Skype chat: eutaxback
Want to talk personally with the manager?
Get to know our offices
Thanks. Since you will be contacted shortly.
Request a call back

The United Kingdom – Tax guide for Mobile EU Workers

Our UK Tax guide is produced to help mobile EU workers who are moving to UK, or who are working in Britain as a general workers, self-employers, freelancers, seasonal workers or seafarers. It will help you to understand the tax rates and benefits and also check if you are paying the correct amount of tax in the UK.

Quick Facts
Tax Year to date 6th April to 5th April
Time limits for claiming a tax refund 2011-12; 2012-13; 2013-14; 2014-15; 2015-16
Tax free
0% of Income Tax
Most people in the UK get a personal allowance. The basic Personal Allowance is the amount of income you don’t have to pay tax on. 

​A tax free personal allowance for a single person ​

  • 2015-16 - the first £10,600 you earn is tax-free;
  • 2014-15 - the first £10,000 you earn is tax-free;
  • 2013-14 - the first £9,440 you earn is tax-free.
  • 2012-13 - the first £8,105 you earn is tax-free.
  • 2011-12 - the first £7,475 you earn is tax-free.
John worked for seven months in Tax Year 2015-16. He earned £11,600 (his income). His employer took £1000 of Tax from his salary.

How John's refund is calculated? John gets basic personal allowance of £10,600. That is why he has to pay Tax on £1000 only and that is £200 (£11,600 minus £10,600 = £1000; 20% on £1000 = £200).
As a result, John has overpaid tax and his refund will be £800 (£1000 minus £200 = £800).
Tax resident An individual is treated as a tax resident in the UK in the tax year, if he/she spends 183 days or more in the UK during the tax year.
Tax residents are liable to pay UK tax on their worldwide income.
Non tax resident A non-residents are taxed on UK source income only (limited tax liability).
Double Taxation Agreement The United Kingdom has signed tax treaties with many countries to avoid double taxation. The main aim of these agreements is to avoid that one taxpayer is charged similar taxes more than once on the same income for the same period.

Learn more
Tax Authority HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
Salary The National minimum wage for workers aged 21 and over in 2013 is from £6.31 per hour.
Filing a tax return
Who Needs to File a Tax Return?
  • If you are a general employee and only earn income from salary - you are not legally required to file a tax return. NOTE! If you want to get a tax refund, - this can be done by submitting a claim.
  • If you are a freelancer, self-employed, run a business or have income from more than one country you must file a tax return.
Tax Return due date
  • 31st October (paper filing)
  • 31st January (electronic filing)
When will you get your refund money? After submitting an electronic tax return, you will receive a Tax Assessment automatically.
If you send a paper tax return or claim letter (for basic employee), HMRC will send you a Tax Assessment in 12 weeks.

If you have paid too much tax (overpaid tax), UK tax office will send a cheque to your nominee (Agent) or to you, within 14 working days after the date of issue of the notice of assessment.
Tax Assessment Once Inspector has checked the tax return or claim, you will receive a Tax Assessment (or Tax Calculation P800).

The Tax Assessment (or Tax Calculation P800) is a letter with the tax calculation and information about tax repayments or tax underpayment
What documents or information do I need for filing a tax return with Eutaxback.com?
  • Copy of your Form P45 and P60;
  • Proof of income in the UK;
  • Proof of expenses in the UK;
  • Copy of ID or Passport;
If some of your forms have been lost or destroyed, - no problem, we will offer you recovery services at no additional cost.
Identification Tax Number National Insurance number (NIN) - is a unique personal number for every UK employee and is to be used for employment and government services. Number consists from numbers and letters, for example, XY 12 34 56 Z.

UTR number - is a unique personal number to complete a self assessment tax return. Number consists from 10 digits.
Annual Statement from employer
  • Form P45. When you leave the job your employer automatically should give youa form P45. Form P45 consists of four sheets - your employer sends one sheet to HMRC, and three sheets (Part 1A, 2,3,) are for you. P45 form is necessary for you: for tax refund claim and for claim of unemployment benefit (Jobseeker's Allowance).
View an example of P45
  • Form P60 - is the Annual statement from your employer. The form includes the details of your earnings and the amount of tax you have paid during the tax year (from 6th April till next year 5th April).
View an example of P60
  • Subcontractor Monthly Statement - is the monthly statement from Contractor. The form includes the details of your earnings and the amount of tax you paid during the month.
View an example of Statement
Taxes, allowances and tax credits
Income Tax and Social Security Income Tax Rates (2014-15 t.y.)
  • 20% - from £ 0 up to £ 31 865
  • 40% - £ 31 866 up to £ 150 000
  • 45% - from £ 150 001
National Insurance contribution (2014-15 t.y.) for basic workers (per week)
  • 12% - for earnings from £ 153 to £805
  • plus 2% - for earnings above the upper earnings limit
Allowances and tax credits Allowances for all taxpayers in 2014-15
  • A tax free personal allowance for single person. 0% of Income Tax – on Incomes from £ 1 up to £ 10000
  • Rent a room relief – £ 4250
  • Mileage allowances: for any business mileage in excess of £ 10 000 miles you can claim 25p per mile.
  • Uniforms and laundry costs from £ 60 per year.
Freelancers & self-employers.
  • Business expenses. You can claim expenses for: business costs for vehicles, business use of your home, double household, accountancy fees, private use of business premises as a home.
! You can claim full allowances and get a tax refund when you file your tax return or send a claim form, only.
  • Best price guarantee
  • Privacy Policy
  • Data protection
  • Become a Partner
  • Discounts and offers
Call Us
+371 678 593 75
Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Other contacts
E-mail: info@eutaxback.com
Skype chat: eutaxback
Follow us
© 2005 - 2015 SIA EUTAXBACK.COM All rights reserved. Use of this website in accordance with our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
EUTAXBACK.COM SIA has been registered in Republic of Latvia (EU) Registration number. 41503037472 Registered address: Mihoelsa 66-14, DAUGAVPILS, LV5401, LATVIA
In case of disagreement or doubt in regard to services, one must notify Eutaxback.com by e-mail info@eutaxback.com We guarantee a response within 5 days (in business days).

*The refund amount is an average value of our clients. Your refund amount may differ due your individual circumstances.